Jonathan Fires National Security Adviser & Defence Minister

Azazi President Goodluck Jonathan has sacked both his National Security Adviser and the Defence minister, Bello Haliru Mohammed.

Reuben Abati, said on Friday evening that Andrew Owoye Azazi has been “dropped and replaced by Col. Sambo Dasuki” a retired colonel. A tweet from him announced it.

The new National Security Adviser, Dasuki is Gen. Ibrahim Babangida’s former ADC, Aide de Camp.

Mr. Dasuki is a Sokoto prince, a retired armoured colonel and former ADC to former military president, General Ibrahim Babangida, was retired from the army by the Abacha regime in a paranoid move to drain the military of what was then perceived as the Babangida influence.

Their sacking came after a meeting of the National Security Council in Abuja.

Jonathan has been under intense pressure to fire both men over the high level of insecurity in the country, especially the Boko Haram insurgency in Northern Nigeria.

President Jonathan had summoned the emergency meeting of his security chiefs to express his dismay moments after arriving from Brazil.

According to the Minister of Police Affairs, Captain Caleb Olubolade, who spoke to State House Correspondents after the meeting, it was merely a usual security meeting with between the President and his security chiefs.

But he, however, hinted that the president expressed his displeasure with the security situation in the country, saying, “he (the President) particularly didn’t feel too well about the lost of lives. He said we need to do something proactively to stop it at all cost”.

Explaining further, he said the meeting was “a usual security meeting with the C-in-C to look at things in a comprehensive manner and see how the security agencies are fairing. It was a useful discussion on certain areas where we had problems, how to tackle them, how the security agencies can be more effective and the role the populace has to play in assisting in the war against terror.

“We had to reappraise the other measures. We had been taking before now and look at how the populace can be carried along to get more information so that peace can return to the land. We do not really have to kill Nigerians to sustain peace. The C-in-C believes that we need to talk and do what is right to ensure that we calm the nerves and ensure that this incessant bombing is minimised. It is a source of worry to all.”

  1. Niyi idowu Reply

    Gugluck/badluck to the masses i’m afraid you would cmplete your tenor.if nothing is done.

  2. kingben Reply

    Azazi has fallen victim of an unjust, corupt system again. Lick your wound a̶̲̅Ω̴̩̩̩̥d̶̲̅ enjoy your loot. Both you a̶̲̅Ω̴̩̩̩̥d̶̲̅ your Jonathan will soon become irrelevant when Nigerians Decides I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ 2015


Leave a Reply