UPDATE 2: The AIDs Prevention Initiative Nigeria (APIN) building at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH), Idi-Araba, Lagos went up in flames last night.
The building is near the children’s ward.
The fire, which broke out a few minutes past 7pm, resulted from a spark from the Pharmacy room.
“There was an outage, the entire building was in darkness and suddenly electricity was restored shortly after, then, a spark from the Pharmacy room that was all”, an official told The Nation.
This occurred at the time workers in the section were rounding off a meeting. But nobody died or was injured.
Efforts to extinguish the fire using the fire extinguishers proved abortive.
The arrival of the officials of the Federal Fire Services could also not save the building from being totally burnt down.
The men from the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) were also on ground.
A female employee of the section was heard lamenting: “This is a big loss, Eight years of hard work is gone. All the files containing the data collected in the last eight years are no more,” she lamented.
NEMA Southwest Information Officer Ibrahim Farinloye, said their officers where on ground to salvage any human disaster.
Mr. Ganiyu Olayiwola, the operational commander of the Lagos Command, who led the Federal Fire Service, could not give details on the level of destruction.
Olayiwola said his men arrived at the scene of the inferno at 7:50pm.
UPDATE 1: A source said no patient was trapped in the fire outbreak that affected the building.
The fire was said to have been caused by an electric spark.
The fire reportedly raged for over an hour while fire fighters were said to have responded after a number of distress calls were made.
Report reaching us says there is fire outbreak at Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH) in Lagos.
According to Nigerian emergency officials, several people including sick children are reportedly trapped in the inferno.
An emergency official said all efforts are being made to put out the fire.
Details to come…