I don’t know if my client is dead or alive after attack by 'thousands' of soldiers - Nnamdi Kanu’s lawyer
The Nigerian Army on Tuesday returned to lay siege to the residence of the leader of Indigenous People of Biafra, Nnamdi Kanu, in Abia State, his lawyer said, adding that “they drove in their thousands to arrest and maim him” and he has not been able to establish contact with him moments after he got a distress call from Mr. Kanu.
He said the world should hold Buhari-led Federal Government responsible if anything untoward happens to the IPOB leader.
In a statement on Tuesday, Mr. Kanu’s lawyer, Ifeanyi Ejiofor, accused the Nigerian government of placing the separatist agitator under house arrest.
He added that at least four IPOB members had been killed in the area.
However, the police spokesperson in the state, Geoffrey Ogbonna, denied the claim.
He said the Army was only on its routine patrol and passed through the area.
“They have moved on now to other parts of the city. I have been to that area, they were on their normal ongoing show of force. I don’t think they tried to break into the building,” Mr. Ogbonna said.
According to Mr. Ejiofor: “Just to notify the world that my client’s (Nnamdi Kanu) house is presently under siege by the trigger-happy soldiers acting under the direct instruction of Chief of Army Staff.
“He has been placed under house arrest at the moment while shooting sporadically into the air.
“Casualties are being counted as the unprovoked assault progresses. Some IPOB members have just been killed at least four people.
“They drove in their thousands to arrest and maim him. I just got a distress call from him now. Further efforts to establish contact with him have remained unsuccessful.
“As it stands now, I can’t confirm whether he is dead or alive.”
Mr. Ejiofor said the Operation Python Dance presently launched by the Buhari-led administration in the South East was principally targeted at eliminating my client.
“It is yielding the desired result to the presidency, having launched a manhunt for my client and unarmed members if Indigenous People of Biafra,” he said.
“Let the world know that the federal government has practically abandoned their case in court in search of a brute route to eliminate my client.
“As I type this statement, his residence has been cordoned off by the military, majority of whom are of Fulani extraction.
“The world should hold Buhari-led Federal Government responsible if anything untoward happens to Nnamdi Kanu. The situation is very tense at the moment,” the statement said.